Thursday, September 20, 2012

Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Honey Apple Cake

It is starting to feel like Fall here in the Washington, DC area (thank goodness, I think the sweltering heat is behind us) and I love to celebrate fall with apples.  They are fresh, crunchy and delicious.  A perfect healthy treat for my son's snack time and super easy to pack.

In addition to snacking on apples, I also like to use apples as the base for a number of dishes including cakes.  Now, I will admit, I am not a great baker.  In fact, any time I see the words "level with a knife" for measuring flour, I get the shakes.  So, a few years ago I found this recipe for an Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Honey Apple Cake in Cooking Light magazine and it was super easy to make so now I make it all the time.  I thought I would share it with you so you can enjoy some apple cake and celebrate Fall!  PS.  I modified it to include real apple chunks....

Ingredients 
Cake:
  • 1 cup quick-cooking oats 
  • 1 cup hot water
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (about 6 3/4 ounces) 
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/3 cups packed light brown sugar
  • 1 apple 
  • 3/4 cup chunky applesauce 
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 2 large eggs 
  • Cooking spray  
Frosting:
  • 1/4 cup butter 
  • 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped almonds, toasted 

Preparation 

1. Preheat oven to 350°. 

2. Combine oats and 1 cup hot water in a small bowl; set aside (BOWL 1). 

3. Peel, core and dice apple into 1/2 inch pieces.  

4. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, baking soda, and salt (BOWL 2).  

5. Combine 1 1/3 cups sugar, apple pieces, applesauce, 1/3 cup honey, and eggs in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed 1 minute (BOWL 3).  

Three bowls come together in one great cake!

6. Add oat mixture to the sugar mixture (BOWL 3); beat at low speed until well blended. Add half of flour mixture to sugar mixture; beat well. Add remaining flour mixture; beat well.  

7. Spoon batter into an 11 x 7–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 48 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Place dish on a wire rack.  

Throw me in the oven...
8. To prepare frosting, melt butter in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/3 cup sugar and 1/4 cup honey; cook 2 minutes or until bubbly, stirring constantly. Stir in almonds. Quickly pour frosting over cake; spread evenly using a rubber spatula. 

9. Preheat broiler. 

10. Broil cake 1 minute or until frosting is bubbly and golden. Cool completely on a wire rack. Serve with whipped topping; sprinkle with ground cinnamon, if desired.

The frosting really makes the cake (and I didn't have almonds)
It all comes together in a yummy apple cake with a sweet frosting - a great, simple dessert made with Fall fruit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment