Sunday, February 1, 2015
In the spirit of the Super Bowl (which this year, I have no interest in as I dislike both teams...), here is a super tasty appetizer recipe for spiced nuts. A little bit sweet and a little bit spicy, these are great to pair with cheese and wine. In fact, if I start snacking on them, I feel COMPELLED to pour a glass of wine. True story.
They are easy to make and are ready in 15 minutes TOTAL so everyone wins (just in time to pour another glass of wine).
1 cup pecans
1 cup almonds
1 cup walnuts
1/2 cup pistachios (without the shells) (or cashews)
1 teaspoon of coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon of ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon of butter
1/4 cup of water
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put all the nuts in a bowl. Add salt, pepper, cumin and cayenne pepper. Stir until blended.
2. In a small pot, combine butter, water and brown sugar. Heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Pour sauce over nuts. Stir until all the nuts are coated with sauce.
3. Spread nuts on a deep baking tray, lined with foil and coated with cooking spray. Cook in oven for 15 minutes until roasted.
4. Remove from oven and cool.
5. Break apart nuts and keep in a zip lock bag to have on hand when need to serve with wine!