Sunday, August 4, 2013
Smoky Spicy Popcorn
Buttered and lightly salted popcorn is delicious. And kettle corn is a nice treat at a fair (in small doses). But what about *SPICY* popcorn? A few restaurants serve spiced popcorn at the table with cocktails and beer, but I've always found that to be a little.. hmm.. bland. I know there is the need to appeal to the masses, but come on... give it some punch!
Here is a great alternative to the standard buttered popcorn snack. You can serve it at a cocktail party or bring it to tailgating as a cool treat.
(Faint-hearted beware, this recipe has a smoky start and a spicy finish!)
1 tablespoon canola oil
2/3 cup of corn kernels
1 1/2 tablespoons of butter
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of Spanish smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon of paprika
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1. Heat canola oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add one kernel.
2. Heat kernel until it pops. Then add the 2/3 cup of corn kernels to the pot. Cover with a lid. Occasionally move the pot around (like Jiffy Pop!!).
3. Melt the butter. Mix the salt, paprikas, cumin, garlic powder and cayenne pepper in a separate bowl.
4. Add the spices to the melted butter and whisk to blend.
5. When the popcorn is done popping (count to three, if no kernel pops, remove from heat - it's ready!), pour into a large bowl.
6. Drizzle butter spice mixture over the popcorn, stirring to coat all the popcorn with the butter/spice.
7. Serve your popcorn with some delicious beer, movie or enjoy with some friends! (or not, that part is optional, but highly recommended)