Friday, May 17, 2013
Vegetarian Mexican Corn Cakes
Continuing with our celebration of healthy and fresh Mexican food, here is a vegetarian dish of corn cakes. Light and fluffy, these go great with Avocado and Papaya Salad for a meatless dinner. For some additional spice and flavor, add a half of chopped jalapeno!
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 red pepper, diced
1 tbl butter
1/2 cup of flour
4 tablespoons of cornmeal
1 tsp of sugar
1/2 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of cumin
1/2 cup of milk
2 cups of corn (if frozen, thaw)
1/2 cup of pepper jack cheese
sour cream and salsa for topping
1. Melt butter in a pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper (and jalapeno for spice!) and saute until tender, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Mix together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and cumin in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and milk. Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until blended.
3. Add the onion/pepper, corn and cheese to the large bowl. Stir to blend.
4. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray. Drop 1/4 cup of the mix on the frying pan and cook until crisp (about 3 - 4 minutes).
5. Flip and cook the cake on the other side. Serve hot and top with sour cream and salsa!