Tuesday, January 29, 2013

For the Love of Food...

This blog, Eat What's On Your Plate is about food (clearly).  I started this blog not so long ago (6 months to be exact) for a few reasons:  

1.  Develop my "voice" and strengthen my writing style.  I found that I was losing my assertiveness and started pandering to my audience (in writing and speaking) instead of 'telling it like it is' - so I thought this would be a good place to practice.  Because I had somehow lost my Jersey. 

2.  As a way to figure out social media a little more and become more familiar with the tools of the trade (there was no such thing as 'tweeting' when I was in school, learning about useful subjects)

This was the type of "cell phone" I had in college.  There were no apps... it made phone calls.  If you were lucky

3.  Provide an outlet for my opinions, meanderings, and advice on food and eating (because I know everyone was dying to know and my husband was sick of listening).  I love hearing what other people thought about a restaurant, or a recipe and I wanted to contribute to the conversation.  I WANT TO BE HEARD, PEOPLE.

4.   To become an adult person again.  After having two small children, I quickly immersed myself in two areas of focus - my family and my job.  And I lost part of me - my outside interests that held the attention of another adult for more than 10 minutes before falling back into the "my kid... (fill in kid story here)" pattern of conversations most familiar and comfortable among parents.  This phenomenon is broadly called "Mommy Blogs" and I am apparently, not alone.

Care of B12 Patch... look how tough!

5.  And the most important reason is because I love food.  Before we had kids, my husband and I were thinking about starting a catering business.  Since that is a little outside of my 'risk tolerance' zone now (as in, I need a stable paycheck), and I wanted to somehow find, join and create a community around FOOD.  

Hence, this blog (and Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest account). 

A few months ago, I was super excited when Healthy Life Virginia contacted me and asked if it would be okay to link to my blog.  WHAT!?!  This blew me away.  People besides my mom and sister were reading my blog?  Who knew?

Needless to say, my blog is growing (little by little) and getting a little more "press" which makes me happy.  A little sense of achievement. 


In addition to this blog, I am also fortunate to be a contributor for Capital Cooking with Lauren DeSantis, a food blog and TV cooking show.  This has been an awesome experience for me.  I get to go to different food events, meet new people and share my food thoughts.  

As part of writing for Capital Cooking, I get to meet lots of other food bloggers whom I admire.  I have spent a lot of time looking at other blogs and learning from their styles -- from layout, to content, to pictures and 'color commentary.'   I always get excited when I can go to events to meet other food bloggers.  So a few weeks ago, I went to an event for Capital Cooking and the marketing team caught this picture of us "food bloggers" and I thought I would share with you because it made me laugh...


So, since I have not met some of you in person, I will clarify that I am the second girl from the right.  I am the only one with food still in my hand (and mouth).  

That just cracked me up, they got a picture of me eating.  Go figure.  But this picture is exactly why I do this blog.... for the love of food.


No comments:

Post a Comment