Sunday, January 6, 2013

Foodie New Year's Resolutions

It's the start of a new year and that means time for some resolutions.  Now normally, I don't really do resolutions.  Not because I don't need to improve on things (I can assure you, I most certainly do), but more because I don't get a whole lot of personal reflection time during the holiday season or shortly thereafter.  That reflection time usually becomes more available during the February timeframe.

In lieu of doing some personal resolutions at the start of a new year, I thought I would do something a little more fun.  And focus on Foodie New Year's Resolutions.  They don't require quite as much thought and they are much easier to accomplish (I say this now....).

So here it goes - my 2013 Foodie New Year's Resolutions!

1.  Dine at 4 restaurants on my 'must-taste' list.  The list is, of course, dynamic (since restaurants come and go in the DC area so quickly!).  But here are the four restaurants currently at the top--Little Serow, The Source, Estadio, and Vidalia.   There are more places on my dining 'want' list (and many at which I have already eaten), but these four are my focus as I have never been to any of them and they all sound absolutely fantastic.


2.  Make one dish from my new cookbook, 660 Curries My husband got me this cookbook for Christmas (every year he gets me a new 'gem' to add to my collection).  Apparently it is all the rave and a must-have in the cooking community.  I have read Chapter 1.  I have a lot more to go and then I need to actually use it.  It takes me a LONG time to warm up to new cookbooks so I figure by early summer, I might be able to complete this one.  I am pretty sure my husband didn't expect to wait that long for a dish from the cookbook.   

3.  Grow a vegetable garden.  This one is what they call in the professional world 'a stretch goal' for me, for a few reasons.  First, I have a black thumb.  I don't know why... probably because I don't pay attention to the details like 'soil type'.  Plants die on me all the time.  Second, I am not very patient.  You know, to plant a seed and wait for it to actually grow.  I generally like to just go buy stuff at a farmers market and call it a day.  Three, I am lazy and I know weeding will be the death of whatever I plant.  And four is this little lunatic who has made my backyard a race track and loves to trash areas that are fenced off to him:


But regardless, I really want to give it a try.  And I want to can some green beans to have spicy pickled beans to eat with cheese.  So there is where I will start.  Wish me luck, I'm going to need it!

4.  Bake a dessert.  It seems sort of simple but I really am not a fan of baking.  It's too exact.  The words 'level with a knife' for measuring flour make me roll my eyes.   But I'm going to give it a try.  With what, I am not sure.  It can't be something like a fruit crisp because I can make those... this has to be a little more pastry-oriented.  I have a year to find the appropriate dessert and make it a reality.  Hopefully it won't poison my family.

5.  Acquire more Le Creuset I know what that sounds like.  Sort of like "I need to buy more shoes for myself next year!  Yes, that's it, that's a good resolution.  Along with drink more wine!" and you are right.  But the rest of the things on the list are a bit challenging and I need a reward.  Besides, this cookware is an investment.  I got my first Le Creuset items this year for Christmas and they need some friends, as they are lonely.  Just go with it, it works...


So there they are - my 2013 Foodie New Year's Resolutions.  What are yours?       


No comments:

Post a Comment