Every Sunday we make a big brunch for our family. It's the one time of the week we all sit down together for a *relaxing* meal (we eat dinner every night together too, but that is NOT relaxing). And, as a benefit, the kids always eat their entire brunch, so there is no arguing about 'how many more bites.' It's really fantastic.
While we are making and eating brunch, we generally listen to a jazz mix. It gives us the 'feeling' of going out to brunch without having to pay a check at the end.
This past Sunday, we made some delicious Poached Eggs over Grits with a side of Wild Boar sausage (thanks Springfield Butcher!) while listening to some awesome jazz tunes. I thought I would share it with you all so you can recreate your own jazz brunch magic!
Poached Eggs Over Cheddar Grits with Wild Boar Sausage
4 links of wild boar sausage (or regular sausage)
2 cups of water
1 cup of chicken broth
3/4 cup of half and half
3 tablespoons of butter
1 cup of quick grits
1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
3 tablespoons of white vinegar
1. In a cast iron skillet, over medium high heat, cook the sausage links for about 20 minutes until cooked all way through.
2. Combine the water, chicken broth, half and half, and 2 tbl of butter in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low. Whisk the grits into the saucepan. Allow to simmer about 10 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat.
4. Add the cheddar cheese and remaining 1 tbl of butter to the grits. Cover with a lid to keep warm.
5. Boil water over high heat in a deep skillet. Before it comes to a rolling boil, reduce heat to medium-high and add vinegar.
6. Crack individual eggs into a small bowl and gently slide into the water.
7. Cook eggs in the pan for about 3 minutes (until whites form)... be careful that your eggs don't stick to the bottom of the pan. (if they do, gently detach with a spoon).
8. Once cooked, remove eggs with a slotted spoon and place over a pile of grits with the sausage.
9. Sprinkle generously with hot sauce (or don't - it's up to you!)
10. Now for the important part... break the yolk! And enjoy with your jazz playlist below.
Jazz Brunch Playlist
This playlist was created by my husband. Need to give credit where credit is due. You can get this full playlist on Spotify.
Move - Rudy Van Gelder
Back at the Chicken Shack
I've Grown Accustomed to Your Face
Root Down and Get It
I'll Close My Eyes
Ruby My Dear
Come Rain or Come Shine - Take 2
Blue Rondo a la Turk