Friday, August 10, 2012

Truckeroo

Today was the monthly celebration of Truckeroo, a festival of food trucks in Southeast DC near the Navy Yard.  I have frequented food trucks from time to time, but I have never attended Truckeroo until today.  This event has been on my calendar for two months since I couldn't make the dates in June and July.  Needless to say, I was very excited to attend my first Truckeroo and it did not disappoint.

I got to the "festival fairgrounds" and after having my purse checked by security (they were lucky enough to find some LEGO Batman toys and an airplane - nothing worth confiscating), I surveyed the scene.  There were so many food truck options!  I decided to do a lap around the food truck block to check out the available selections and see what caught my fancy.

So many food trucks, so little time...

After much deliberation, I decided upon (drum roll please!).... DC Empanadas to satisfy my hungry tummy.  I ordered an El Toro (Chipotle Beef, Onions, Garlic, Cilantro, Black Beans, Cheddar Cheese & Corn) and a Speedy Gonzalez (A mild Cheese Empanada filled with Queso Blanco, Asadero Cheese & Mozzarella Cheese).

Feed me...

The El Toro was DELICIOUS!  It had all the right spices and it took me on a trip down memory lane... back to memories of nights spent at Julia's Empanadas in Adams Morgan at 2 in the morning, eating empanadas in a drunken stupor after partying at all those bars (oh my god, I just aged myself didn't I?). record scratch... Oops anyway, I loved it.  The Speedy Gonzalez  on the other hand, meh... it was okay.  It was cheesy, but I didn't get a whole lot of flava love out of it.

My friend was nice enough to share his tater tots from DC Slices.  The bacon and cheddar kind.  For some reason, I was expecting these tater tots to be infused with bacon and cheddar which they were not, they were loaded with bacon and cheddar (like a baked potato). 

Bacon makes everything better!

Again, they were just okay.  I was expecting more, like a tater tot experience to rave about.  It just tasted like tater tots with bacon and cheddar on top.  But serving tater tots at a pizza food truck says a little somethin' - like, I'm not afraid to try something a little different here.  So if I ever run into this food truck again, I'm going to try the cajun kind because I think they are on to something... 

Anyway, for dessert (because no meal is complete without it) I had a red velvet cupcake from Curbside Cupcakes.  I had to try their cupcakes and it was all I could do not to buy the six pack.  I know people who leave meetings when the cupcake truck shows up outside their office.  I had to see for myself.  

I should have bought the cupcake six pack

OH. MY. GOD.  It was out of this world.  I am not sure what is in the icing, but it was so creamy and delicious I could have ate a bowl of it.  And the cake part was made perfectly - spongy and fluffy.  It looked so good that I didn't even get a picture, I just jammed right in my mouth.  Now I know why people run out of meetings to get those cupcakes.  They are made with magic fairy dust or something.

I had fantastic time at Truckeroo and I am pleased to say, I ate everything on my plate (and then some).  Can't wait 'till September, I'm coming back for more!


No comments:

Post a Comment